Understanding Treatment and causes of Scoliosis
The spine is the most delicate organ in the body of every human being. It also plays a vital role in the well-being of the whole body. It makes the whole body stable and robust. A default or damage on the spine can leave you crippled for the rest of your life. One of the conditions that the spine may encounter is scoliosis. Very little information about it is known. scoliosis in Las Vegas has thus been made an issue of concern. To better understand this condition, here is more information in the discussion below.
Scoliosis is an abnormal curve in the spine. It is also described as the sideways curvature of the spine. It mainly occurs during the growth spurt before an individual attains puberty.
How would you know if you have scoliosis?
Individuals suffering from this condition show the following signs and symptoms:
- Individual shoulders become uneven
- Some individuals develop uneven growth of hips
- The chest walls and breasts grow unevenly
- Some individuals experience chronic back pain
- In some exceptional cases, an individual may experience breathing problems
- One shoulder may appear to be shorter than the other.
- Some individuals may get shorter
If you encounter or experience such signs and symptoms in any way, visit a hospital immediately for diagnosis to prevent further continuing problems. Doctors will as well treat you immediately before the condition worsens.
Causes of Scoliosis
This condition is classified into two main categories. They include:
- Structural Scoliosis. These are conditions or factors that interfere with the structure of the spine. Examples are degeneration, injuries, and congenital abnormalities.
- Nonstructural Scoliosis. These are factors outside the spine that cause the conditions. The external factors are responsible for scoliosis.
These two categories are the leading causes of this condition. The other common causes include the following:
- Cerebral palsy. These are disorders of the nervous system. They mainly affect movement, learning, hearing, and thinking, all of which are associated with the spine.
- Muscular disorders. These are disorders that make the muscles very weak. The weakness extends to the spine, causing scoliosis.
- Birth-related issues also may cause harm to the spine causing scoliosis.
- Age is also another primary reason for the condition. In most cases, age causes wear and tear of the back.
- Bad sitting posture is also another leading cause. Poor sitting postures exert pressure on the spine, and in the end, it results in scoliosis.
Treatment procedures for scoliosis condition
Generally, the treatment procedure will depend on the nature of the curve on the spine, causes, and individuals’ age. A doctor has to look keenly at these three factors before treatments commence.
There are two mainly used procedures to deal with the condition. They are:
- Routine checkups. This procedure is suitable for children and adults whose curves are not extended. Routine checkup goes along with X-rays to ensure that they monitor spine condition to prevent worsening of the condition.
- Spinal fusion surgery. This is the use of bone grafts, metal rods, and screws to correct the damaged spine. The procedure is suitable for all individuals.
Get scoliosis treatment today
Don’t let your spine ruin your daily activities, as Dr. McNulty is here for you. Visit McNulty Spine Clinic for scoliosis treatment today, and you will get your daily run on comfortably without any pain.