Essential Things to Know About Migraines
Everybody loves feeling great as well as accessing optimal body performance. Also, proper health is essential for your body’s general performance. Living a healthy lifestyle and regularly exercising contribute to these. If you are experiencing pulsing head pain, contact a migraine specialist in Alexandria for more information.
Migraines are a medical condition involving severe headaches that cause unbearable pain, usually on one side of the head. It usually is accompanied by high sensitivity to light, nausea, and vomiting. These symptoms can interfere with your day-to-day activities and last up to three days or more.
Migraine can easily be confused with a headache which causes pain on both sides of the head, but a migraine causes pain. Other symptoms include:
- Pain that increases with activity
- Throbbing and pulsating head pain
- Vomiting and nausea
- Sensitivity to light
- Mood change
- Visual disturbances
- Uncontrollable jerking movements
Some of these symptoms occur at different stages of the migraine: prodrome, aura, attack, and post-drome phases.
Causes of migraine
Although more research may be required to establish the cause of migraines, genetics may play a role. However, specific triggers might cause migraine, including:
- Certain foods and additives
- Change in sleep patterns
- Drinks like coffee or other caffeinated beverages and alcohol
- Hormonal changes in women
- Low blood sugar
- Sensory stimuli such as bright light and loud music
- Specific medications and hormonal contraceptives
- Weather changes
People have different triggers, and the best way to avoid a migraine attack is to avoid them at all costs.
First, review your medical history and symptoms. Your doctor will then schedule a neurological and physical exam. Specialists will take magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to rule out other causes of head pain, such as brain tumors.
Two types of medication can be prescribed, such as prevention or rescue medications. Prevention medication is administered to patients who experience frequent migraines, while rescue medication relieves pain at the first symptom of migraine. Your doctor recommends more advanced migraine therapy if the medication prescribed does not work. Resolutions may include therapy like:
- VYEPTI, this is an intravenous infusion (IV)
- Nerve blocks
- Botox injections
- Calcitonin gene-related peptide (CGRP) inhibitor injection
What makes you prone to migraines?
- Gender – Where women are three times more prone to have a migraine.
- Family history – one can genetically inherit migraine attacks.
- Age – Although migraine can begin at any age, it is common among adolescents and peaks as you approach your 30’s. Eventually, it will subside in the following years.
- Hormonal changes – Changes may occur during the onset or shortly after your menstruation. If you are approaching menopause or you are pregnant, it may serve as a trigger as well.
Talk to a Neurology Specialist Today
The head harbors the brain, which is a vital body organ coordinating all your body functions. It is therefore essential to ensure it is in the best shape for a good body performance. In case you experience migraines, contact our neurologists and sleep experts to schedule an appointment.