With only just over two months to go until the Goodlife Fitness Victoria Marathon, I figured it was time to up my accountability game by sharing my monthly goals (thanks to Ange and Carmy for the idea and hosting the link-up!). Marathon training has been solid during the week, but weekends have been a struggle — mainly since I’ve been away travelling or doing the complete opposite of training/health/wellness by attending music festivals. Well, I’m now on holidays for a week at home and plan to refocus and get back on track with training and health.
Before I share my goals for the month, I feel like I should share a recap since my last fitness struggles update.
I’m still waiting on a diagnosis from my GP about some other health issues going on, but he didn’t seem to concerned about me running a marathon this fall. We’ve been working on getting my iron levels up, which they now are, and are apparently too high (?) so I need to go for another blood test this week. He forgot he even put me on an iron supplement, so I guess I’ll just keep taking it…?
My nutrition and workouts were on point leading up to Sunfest last weekend (I’ll recap some of that experience tomorrow!), but definitely went out the window as soon as we rolled into our campsite at Laketown Ranch. It was fun and awesome and so worth it, and I had a great time. But by Monday, however, all I wanted was a green smoothie and 10 hours of sleep (I followed my own advice from last year about how to get back into balance after a weekend of sun, dust, minimal sleep, junk food, drinks, loud music and putting up with rowdy 15-year-olds).
So, with that said, here are my goals for the month of August!
- Hit my planned 4:50 pace for my weekly tempo runs for at least 20 minutes straight (basically, don’t be lazy and only do it for a few kms).
- Track my runs and workouts in my new Believe Training Journal! I finally ordered it to see if it will help improve my focus on marathon training this time around by allowing me to reflect back each day on how my workouts went. Sure, I have everything tracked in my phone, but I hardly look at it once it’s done.
- Stop mindless nibbling when preparing meals!
- Continue to track my food and log in my journal how I’m feeling, and adjust macronutrients/calories as needed.
- Slow down when eating — I tend to scarf food without putting down my fork in between bites. This can’t be good for my digestive system.
- Go through ALL of my clothes, KonMari style! I’m currently reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up and my desire to purge and put things away is high. Even though I tossed out so much stuff when I moved into this house in February, stuff is spilling out everywhere and it’s driving me nuts. By the end of this week, I’m going to throw every article of clothing (shoes, bags, accessories included) on the floor, pick up each item, see if it “sparks joy”, and decide to keep it or toss it. (I’m actually really excited for this, haha!)
- Use my Erin Condren Life Planner again to keep track of life — I stopped using my journal in April and relied on my phone again to tell me when things are due/where I’m supposed to be, and definitely didn’t feel as on top of things. At the end of each day I want to spend 30 minutes filling in both my training journal and life journal.
- Be mindful of our grocery budget. This seems to be where most of my money goes (I’m the primary food purchaser), which seems crazy because we’re just two people (and three dogs!). I’d like to cut this back to $150 a week (last month I spent $800 total, but that included food for Sunfest).
- Fill in my budget sheet at the end of the month. I was proactive and filled out my expected budget for August, so we’ll see how I do at the end of the month!
- Get back to writing at least three times a week on my blog. I miss it, and I want to get a consistent Monday, Wednesday or Thursday, and Friday post going again. I may need to block off some time on Sundays to get them all ready, as I don’t have my time in the mornings anymore to write.
- Look into getting things cleaned up/sped up on my blog. Do you notice any slow downs or things that bug you? Do you have any layout/content feedback? Please tell me! I’ll post a survey later this month, but feel free to just comment below 🙂
Do you have any goals you’d like to complete this month? What type of goal is usually the hardest for you (personal, fitness, nutrition, etc.?) Have you tried the KonMari method of tidying up?