Looking for an easy and healthy alternative to a sandwich? Try these Vietnamese salad roll-inspired rice wraps — they’re super simple to put together and are a perfect high-protein vegan lunch option. I used a store-bought Thai peanut sauce because I was feeling lazy this week, but you can easily make your own.
Simple tofu avocado salad rolls with peanut sauce
Makes two rolls
- Two rice paper wraps – you can pick these up at most grocery stores
- 4-6 leaves of green leaf lettuce
- 1 large carrot
- 1/2 an avocado
- 85 grams (two pieces) firm tofu
- 3 TBSP Braggs Liquid Aminos Soy Sauce
- 1 TSP onion powder, a pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 TBSP spicy thai peanut sauce – homemade or store bought
- To prepare the tofu: Cut a block of firm tofu into 6 pieces — one cut width-wise through the middle and two cuts length wise for 6 even pieces — and let it marinate in the Braggs soy sauce, onion powder and salt and pepper mix for 30 minutes, or until mixture is soaked up. Bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Let it cool and use two pieces of tofu for the rolls. (You can store the other four pieces in a container in the fridge for tomorrow’s lunch!)
- Run the rice paper under warm water for 30 seconds, making sure to dampen both sides.
- Place rice paper on a cutting board and place a few slices of avocado (about 1/4 of the avocado) in the middle of the rice paper.
- Next, place 1 piece of tofu in the middle of the rice paper on top of the avocado.
- Grate about half the carrot on top of the tofu.
- Drizzle 1/2 tbsp of the spicy thai peanut sauce over the carrot.
- Place 3 or so lettuce leaves over the avocado, tofu and carrot.
- Grab one side of the rice paper (it should be pliable now) and fold it in half over the lettuce. Fold in either side so the ends are covered, make sure the lettuce and insides are tucked in then roll it so the other side is sealed. If that made no sense to you, watch this video for a tutorial. (It may take a few times to roll it into an actual roll — my first ended up looking like some kind of alien egg.)
- Repeat using the remaining ingredients for the second roll.
- Devour for lunch!
If you plan to make these in the morning to take to work, place a small lettuce leaf down on the rice paper before the avocado and tofu – that should prevent the peanut sauce from going through to the rice paper, which can make it too soft and end up tearing.
Nutrition for two rolls: 252 calories, 13 g fat, 29 g carbs, 15 g protein, 4 g fibre
Let me know if you try this! What are you having for lunch today? Do you have any good vegetarian salad roll recipe/combos I should try?