This past weekend I went to Seattle for my friend Katie’s stagette (or bachelorette party, as you call them is the U.S.), and despite a late night the day before, my friend Debbie and I got up early to hit the streets for a morning run. We decided to do some hill repeats up and down a few blocks near the water (if you’ve ever been to Seattle you know the San Fransisco-like hills I’m talking about) and get ourselves orientated to the area in which we were going to be spending the next two days.
Despite the obvious reasons for going for a run while on vacation (burning calories, staying fit, sticking to routine, etc.), here are a few other reasons we discovered:
- You can see as much of a new city as you can while on foot. You can cover a lot more ground when running than walking.
- You can do a recon mission to check out areas you plan to visit later. Knowing where the pub was that we planned to visit later was helpful, especially when trying to find it after several beers at the baseball game.
- You can discover cool places to shop and eat. Though we never made it back to Biscuit Bitch, we’ll definitely stop there next time.
- You might discover some incredible views. You’re usually rewarded with a gorgeous view at the top of a set of stairs.
- You can justify having one more drink or that amazing-looking dessert later because you ran in the morning and pre-burned some calories.
Do you go for runs while on vacation or in a new city? Why or why not? What’s the best thing you’ve discovered while out for a run in a new place?