There’s a health food market not far from where I work, and I sometimes walk there at lunch with my coworkers to grab groceries or pick up some healthy office treats. A favourite is this raw cacao power ball the deli sells right near the checkout. They’re SO good, but at $3 a pop, I figured why not save some money and try to make my own?
Not only are these tasty treats full of nutritious goodness, but are also easy to make — no baking required! I added a bit of Vega chocolate protein powder to up the nutrition factor, but you could just make them with the cacao powder if you wanted.
- 2 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 10 dates, pitted
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 2 scoops Vega chocolate protein powder
- 1/4 cup ground flax
- 1 cup almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Shredded coconut for rolling
yields 18-25 balls
- Blend dates in a food processor with the vanilla until smooth. Add to a big mixing bowl.
- Mix all other ingredients into the bowl and blend together. Consistency should be like cookie dough. If the batter is too dry, add a bit more almond butter or coconut/almond milk. If it’s too wet, add more oats.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls and roll in the shredded coconut.
- Eat some!
- Store the rest in the fridge in an airtight container.
What else would you add to these to make the extra tasty? Cacao nibs? Dried fruit? Cashews?